Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blog Title

Yeah, so it's been a while. All this introspective blogging did me some good to a point, but now what? I think I started to be conscious of my audience again, so hopefully this long hiatus after all that ranting will have driven most everyone away.

Ok, one thought - Doakes is the real hero of Dexter, seasons 1 and 2. He seems like a total asshole, but it's because he's such a good cop he can actually tell that there's something wrong with Dexter. When he thinks Dexter is a junkie though, he is supportive and cool. He tactfully tries to bring it up with Deb, which is how he finds out that the Narcotics Anonymous meetings were a front. He shoots the dude from the Taunton Macoute, but we see later that he was following orders. And when faced with a murderous ex-army ranger, we see that his principles are stronger than his emotions. He's a badass.

Another thing, I have to give up sugar. It's horrible for my body anyways, but now that I know that it's the source of my headaches, finally I have a strong motivation to kick the habit. So, in an odd way, these headaches may have just been one big blessing in disguise. A blindingly painful disguise.

I'm looking at upgrading to computer recording. It's been a long, tortuous process for me. Working my way up from the four-track cassette portastudio, briefly through 8 track cassette and digital portastudios, to the ADAT - now I think I'm finally ready. But goddamn. Computers are so hard to work with. I've been doing all the research I can into 24 bit converters with 96kHz sample rates. Or something. (I hope in 5 or 10 years I read this blog and those numbers seem astonishingly quaint.) But with all the shopping I've been doing, I think I'm going to have to go with the most ironic choice: use the audio interface my dad bought me back in 2002. I think there's even a blog either published on here or saved on my computer waiting to be re-revealed that concerns my distaste for computer recording. Distaste is putting it mildly, I think. But here's the thing. Now that I've worked with everything in an analog (or at least semi-analog) environment, I've built up an understanding of what each component is supposed to do. Hopefully the task won't seem so intimidating now.

At least I hope so. There's still a part of me that wants to keep my ADAT set up, and expand it so I can master CDs directly from it. But fortunately my budget keeps my humble, and I realize that this will never happen. I say fortunately because I know that moving to computer recording is something that I should have done a long time ago. (Like, say 2002?) Shut up parentheses voice.

I hope that my obsessions with college football and politics have been properly impaled by my disillusionment with them. Both are a waste of time, because they trump up the drama in order to obscure the fact that it's all a trick being played on us. This doesn't change my support of either the Utes or Obama. It's just, like, well... I don't need to listen to anybody else any more. And maybe I don't feel the need to convince anyone else anymore. Drama is intriguing, but serenity has always been my goal.