Friday, January 29, 2010

Random Thoughts

The moon is so bright tonight that the sky around it is blue. You can't see any stars.

It occurred to me today that a disproportionately large amount of my dreams are located in the neighborhood of my old high school. Just recently I've had dreams in classrooms, hallways, the auditorium, and many of the streets adjacent. It's almost as if I've spent more time there in dreams than in reality.

That has made me realize that several significant things have taken place there, outside of school itself. My first date was there (homecoming dance), and my last "date" was there too, if you will. The very last thing Emily and I did before we found out that we were parents was watch 24th of July fireworks from the bleachers. It was my final moment of childhood before discovering that I was to have a child of my own.

I've been wondering about neutrons tonight. Seemingly, they're the Universe's dead weight. Why do we even have them? Sheesh. Electrons go around and do all sorts of crazy shit, and protons are so important that we keep meticulous count of how many are in an atom. But neutrons can just come and go. Doesn't matter. Sure, we'll keep track of your isotopes, but even then you're not as important as ions. So whatever, neutrons. Thanks for nothing.

Except atomic chain reactions. You do that for us. Without which, there would be no sun, and therefore no life. So, that's cool. But come on, don't you want to stand up and state your opinion, positive or negative, at least once in a while? You're not neutral, you're just apathetic.