Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Smell of Burning Eyes!

Remember that scene in Fire In The Sky where the aliens tie the guy down to the table, then a machine pries his eyelids open and they stick a needle in his pupil? Well, turns out they were perfoming LASIK on him. I capitalized LASIK 'cos it's an acronym for Laser ASsisted In-situ Keratomileusis. Anyways, they used some tongs to hold my eyelids open, then a little device sliced off the front of my eye. Then a laser burned away some flesh. It remeasures where it's supposed to be 1,000 times a second. All I saw was a blurry red light. Emily was watching and said that smoke was billowing up from my face. It was so incredibly badass. I kept imagining some kind of comic book mishap where a power surge causes the laser to overload, and then I end up with x-ray vision or something. Of course, as comic books go, I would be cast out from society, yet ironically use my super power to save it. But alas, no. Everything went precisely as planned. So now I am typing, unable to see the computer screen (the vision needs a few hours to clear up). Please forgive any typographical errors. And... just in case I do end up with x-ray vision... maybe you should all wear lead underwear for the next couple days.