Monday, March 10, 2003

This blog is dedicated to Caroline Mountford.

Ok, tell me this isn't some kind of metaphor: I live on a one way street that ends in a cemetary. I realized this yesterday as I went for a walk through the graveyard. There was this one spot, way up on a steep hill that overlooked the entire valley, where there was only one headstone; a worn out wooden one with a tree almost growing over it. All it said was Caroline Mountford 1850-1899. Now, I know nothing about her, but by the looks of the headstone, it seems as though she was unlucky in life. But somehow she was lucky enough to get the most beautiful plot with hardly anyone else around for what seems like acres. Acres of land with no bodies in it, only the roots of trees which allegedly extend for hundreds of yards. When I was digging through the dirt at the Q-Spot, I sometimes wondered if one of the roots I was breaking through was from one of the giant pine trees in the cemetary across the road.

On the equalizers on my mixer there are two symbols. If you turn the knob all the way to the right, you go to +15, which means you add signal noise. All the way to the left is - (the sideways eight that means "infinity"). Minus Infinity. Of course that means silence, but I like that concept. That silence is absolute and infinite and noise isn't. I'll bet you that means something.