Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Another migraine to start the day.  I think my tolerance for even small amounts of alcohol has finally hit zero.  Oh well.  I mean, I can't even remember the last time I got drunk, but I do enjoy one small drink a couple days of the week.  There's no harm in becoming a teetotaler, I suppose.

After it passed, we went to Lowe's and Home Depot to get some curtains for my music room and a chandelier for Madeleine's room.  Lowe's had their inflatable Halloween displays out for sale, and Liam was so excited by them.  "I scared!" he loves to yell.  And "Mossters!"  I think he's going to LOVE Salem.

There was a bit of drama in the afternoon regarding our tickets to the Bonnie Raitt concert at Red Butte.  Dennis and Cyndi were originally supposed to go with Emily and Sarah, but had to attend the funeral for Dennis's aunt Bonnie instead.  Emily and Sarah had a difficult time finding other people to take the tickets, and wanted me to come along.  But my parents were busy with the transition to digital at our office, and my poor sister was dealing with her daughter.  Lainey's teeth are deteriorating, and she will have to undergo oral surgery next week.  So in the end, we stayed home and played with Sarah.


In the evening, while Madeleine was at dance, Liam was my little helper with installing a speed control switch for our ceiling fan.  Then we played outside until Maddy got home.  Since Sarah was sleeping over, Maddy fell asleep with me in my bed as Emily and Sarah watched Resident Evil downstairs.


So, I finally got around to liking Oar by Skip Spence.  I downloaded it two years ago and put it on a CD with the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle.  It took me a little while to warm up to that album as it was, but Oar took longer.  Usually I feel upset with myself for not putting more effort in originally, but this time around I've come to accept the fact that this is just the way I do things.  I also think that my tastes are slanted towards music that takes a little getting used to.  Like most things that are an acquired taste, once you get used to it, you love it.


So, by virtue of the fact that it is on the same CD as Odessey and Oracle, Oar now joins the pantheon of sacred autumnal albums.  I only allow myself to listen to certain albums during the months of September and October (and late August).  The list consists of the aforementioned albums along with Gris-Gris by Dr. John, McLemore Ave. by Booker T. and the M.G.s, and McCartney by Paul McCartney.  A used CD of Billy Preston's greatest hits also makes the list, but it's not a canonical studio album, so my OCD won't allow me to list it with the rest.  Honorable mentions include works by The Make-Up, Harvey Danger, Ben Folds Five, and of course, Rufus Wainwright.  But I allow myself to listen to them outside of September and October.

Well, maybe not Harvey Danger.  The songs "Carlotta Valdez," "Jack the Lion," "Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo," and especially "Woolly Muffler" are strictly for fall.  As a matter of fact, I need to get those onto my iPhone ASAP.