Monday, August 20, 2012

Today was Madeleine's first day of Third Grade! It feels so great to have her back in school again. She's excited about it too. We got there early and I walked in with her (as did all the other parents). Before the doors opened, the kids had all grouped together near their classmates, and Maddy saw Nicole, Mwende, Ella, and McKenna outside. In her class, she sits next to Ryan and across from Brandon at a table that also includes Averi and a new girl, Madison. I told her to be sure to make friends with Madison. I was able to take a few pictures of her with her friends and teacher, Mrs. Gallagher.
And I went to work, listening to The Zombies' "Odessey and Oracle" album. (By the way, Odessey is misspelled in the album title.) It's one of my albums that I only allow myself to listen to in the Fall. Even though it's technically, astronomically not Autumn yet, I figure with Maddy in school, it's Fall enough for me. I just discovered it last year, but it is already one of my favorites of all time.

My cousin Liz Bogus came in for an eye exam today, and brought her partner Amy LePeilbet with her. Although this was only my second time meeting Amy, I'm a big fan of hers and watched every minute of her playing in the Olympic soccer matches. She was so gracious as we fawned over her and her gold medal. She even put it around my neck. I hope that's not sacrilegious.
That afternoon we had a new employee join our staff. Laurel has been a patient of ours for years, and I call her to help with every study. Since both Heather and Alessa have school on Monday afternoons, we asked Laurel to help us out as she looks for a new job.

Madeleine was so excited about her first day at school. When I came home, she was clipping coupons from the newspaper, so she could buy food for the homeless. Then she asked me to do her addition flashcards with her. And finally, we read the first chapter of "Treasure Island" before she went to bed.

Emily and I watched the first two episodes of "Downton Abbey" before going to bed, and both really enjoyed it. It was a great day.