Sunday, February 23, 2003

Free your mind and Tibet will follow.

Tonight, on a special Grammy edition of save yerself, investigative reporter Chris Bogus answers the often asked question: Why don't the Beatles ever talk about their Grammys? And that answer is: No one knows.

No one on the internet at least. I thought that maybe the day after the Grammys would be a good time to find some kind of enlightenment as to this question that's plagued me for quite a while. But no. I even asked that question at ask.com, and it had no answers for me. Just a bunch of Swedish websites about Herb Alpert. Maybe it's 'cos the Beatles (while they were a group) were nominated 43 times, but only won 11. "Yesterday" had 6 nominations (7 if you include Ray Charles's cover version.) and won none. Whatthefuckever.

But lets get out of the past and into the now. Yes, last night I watched the Grammys while playing a 1950's triple-aught Martin that I'm borrowing. Anyways, I missed the start (with Simon and Garfunkel playing "Sound of Silence" together. Damn!), but I got to see some good performances. The great performances were Eminem (WITH THE ROOTS!!!) and a tribute to the Clash with Dave Grohl and Elvis Costello (and four other guys I don't like. Actually, Tony Kanal had some pretty cool basslines on "Tragic Kingdom"). And one of my musical Gods, Raphael Saadiq won a Grammy for helping to write "Love Of My Life (An Ode To Hip-Hop)" performed by Erykah Badu and Common. Yay! And what was up with that guy adding at the end of the Foo Fighters' acceptance speech "Rock would be nothing without B.B. King" ?!?! Who was that? (That guy, not B.B. King) Let me close by paraphrasing the boring speech by the new NARAS president: "Music is really good. Don't stop liking music, 'cos it's really good. Don't stop buying, either. Please!"