Saturday, September 22, 2012

Today was the Dirty Dash!  I was so nervous the whole week leading up to it, and even when we set out, I thought for sure I would run out of breath and my heart would explode.  But we made it up and around the first hill just fine, and leapt easily over the hay bales of the first obstacle.  From that early point, I was encouraged that my body was keeping up with my spirit.  My dad and sister stopped about a mile into it, but I was still feeling good, so I kept on.  I decided that I wanted to give it my all and not skip anything, if possible.  Mike and I continued and looped around to meet my dad and sister again, and I was honestly shocked that I still had plenty of energy.

It basically continued on like this the rest of the way.  I kept expecting my muscles to give out, or my sides to start aching, or my lungs to start burning.  They never did.  I made it all the way to the end, and still had energy to spare.  I have absolutely no idea what to make of this.  I was utterly convinced that I wasn't in the shape to handle it.  How did I do it?  I don't know.

The rest of the day was an exhausted haze.  I mostly laid on the couch and watched football.  We went down to the carousel at Zermatt resort, and Liam was ecstatic.  Literally shaking with joy.  Then we fed the goats, which Maddy loved.  She pet them all gently and named them "Sweetheart" and "Snowflake."  She was sad when we had to leave them.

We're not able to get the Utes game on TV here, but that's probably for the best.  Listening on the radio, it sounds like they're going to get blown out.  I'm not even staying up for the second half.