Sunday, February 25, 2001

cd: Tracy Bonham's "Down Here"
Today I spent most of my time at the mall with Amy, buying shoes. That was a lot of fun, thanks for calling me, Amy. Then I saw a symphony tonight with Chris. That ruled. I had a pretty good day.

I should have mentioned last night (while I was listening to Fiona Apple) that the guitar solo by Jon Brion in the coda of "Carrion" is probably my most favorite of all time. Its insane; starting with a double-stopped rapid-strummed melody sounding like Dick Dale (or maybe Django Reinhardt) playing an electric mandolin. Then its half-note bends all the way down the neck, and an octave jumping bend-vibrato riff followed by a singing classical vibrato note that fades out and back in (most likely by using the volume control on the guitar). Then the guitar walks up in 3/4 time to reach the closing chord. I want to play like that.

Another great solo of note: the acoustic guitar verse of Nelly Furtado's "Turn Off The Light." (I believe this is the work of Field, credited as playing the "pitched-up guitar" on the track. For all I know, it could be the "swamp" guitarist James McCollum) Its very bluesy, with a real soulful swing, and rhythmic phrasic that suggest that the performer has a real handle on what he's doing, but a lightness that makes it sound entirely improvised on the spot. Oh, and it finishes with one of those Dick Dale/Django Reinhardt things I described in the last paragraph.

I shouldn't write about all these great solos without mentioning the solos of the Beatles. Some of my favorites: The syncopated, string jumping melody on "Fixing A Hole," Harrison's Spanish Guitar Magic on "Till There Was You" and "And I Love Her," his bendy riffs on "Drive My Car" and "You're Going To Lose That Girl," McCartney's well-thought-out direct-injected guitar verse in "Michelle," and, of course, the "guitar duel" amongst Paul, a very Clapton sounding George, and a very Townsend sounding John in "The End."

Writing about music really just lets me focus on something other than all the problems I'm having at the moment. Sorry if none of you care. Its just good for me. I've been saying "I'm at a complete loss" a lot lately. I guess that says something about what's going on in my head.