Tuesday, February 27, 2001

cd: Slumber Party's self titled
I got this cd as a free promo for subscribing to Magnet. It sux. Well, I shouldn't say that yet, 'cos I haven't heard the whole thing yet, and its only my first time. But this is a terrible first impression. Very boring. The singer sounds very uninterested in her own work, or maybe any energy was lost in the deluge of reverb applied to the album. This sounds like a group of beginners trying their hand at writing their own songs. Plenty of guitar mistakes have been allowed to come through, which causes me to wonder how they sounded on one of the outtakes. Maybe if the music were more difficult to play, I could understand a few mistakes here and there. But the guitar work sounds very similar to my early forays into recording - not exactly inspiring stuff. No chances taken, as a matter of fact, there hardly any notes played that aren't found in the current triad. Very tonal. No dissonanace has befallen my ears yet, and I'm on track seven. Its just very simple-minded and rules-following. I think their guitarist should spend less time finding new sounds on her digital multi effects pedal, and more time learning a few scales, licks, and for godsakes, some syncopation. The whole band can work on that one. Straight eights are not doing it for me. Yes, this sounds a lot like some of my first recordings, when I was just barely learning to play guitar. (I made got my first guitar and made my first recording on the same day, just to give you an idea of how new I was to guitar at the time. Sept 11, 1997, as a matter of fact.) Wow. I hope I wake up tomorrow, give this another listen and find out that I was wrong, 'cos I'm not digging it right now. Slumber Party. What a suitable name. And apparently this is the only band ever signed to Kill Rock Stars based off a demo tape. Yeah right. Either something's going on behind the scenes here, or KRS gets nothing but horrid crap sent to them in mass quantities. In a sick and twisted way, this gives me a good deal of hope, 'cos if these amateurs can make it, then I'm guaranteed a long and successful career.

Tonight some joker was trying to defend the major record labels and attack napster. Yeah right buddy. Here's our conversation (what he said is in quotes): "Well, if they copywrite the songs," he said "then people have no place stealing them." And you don't think its wrong that the label stole the copywrite from the artist? "Well, the artist should know what they're getting into." And as long as you feed the corporate machine, the artist has no alternative that compares with major-label backing. Napster could have been that alternative. "Well, its all about making money. That's what the corporations are good at. That's why the artist signs to them." Corporations are the devil. "No they're not! Corporations are what make america great." Oh yeah, america sure is great. "Would you rather live under a dictatorship?" We all ready live under a fucking dictatorship! The corporations are the dictators!
What the hell does this fucker know? He sells software at the dickyard mediaplay and kisses his district managers ass. Allegedly, this boy who is roughly the same size as me is the best wrestler there is, but he just refs for a travelling wrestling show (that travels from orem to flagstaff, az). He is also a musician. Yeah right. I'd kick yer ass right off the stage and you know it.

Okay, its late. I'm out.