Tuesday, February 20, 2001

Stevie is the man. Right now I'm listening to "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing." I'm reminded of the time I heard it performed live by the LBCC jazz band. My teacher was conducting them outside on the steps of the auditorium and Joanne and I sat on the grass underneath the trees with a bunch of grandparents. It was one of those perfect, cool summer evenings; the kind they get every night in SoCal. The band was great. Joanne and I went out to dinner at baja fresh after the concert and then to kinko's to copy off every edition of the geo-thermal man comic strip. We talked about how everything in your past leads to where you are presently at, and that we were thankful for every small thing that led to where we were currently at. Ironically, I feel now that if I'd have stayed, I might be much happier than I am right now. I wish my mind would stop getting in the way and ruining everything.

Music is so much more alive in long beach. Besides that concert, I also saw a flamenco ensemble performing in a borders bookstore. And when I went to skyline park atop signal hill I could hear the symphony playing in another park closer to my house. In one and a half months, three performances is still more than I've seen in the past four months here. Not to mention the fact that I was constantly surrounded by people who were destined to make it as musicians. Very different from this musical wasteland, where no one wants to put any effort into a "hobby." Maybe someday I should return to signal hill.

Memories and dreams. Same thing, only going in different directions.